News hardware iPhone 14 Pro vs iPhone 14: Even if it means breaking the bank, go all out!
Apple announced its new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro on Wednesday September 7, 2022, and the least we can say is that the apple has returned from the web. On the one hand, there were the cheerful fans in front of the novelties of which, it must be admitted, I am a little part. On the other hand, there were people who cried foul at the rates quoted. If you need a new smartphone in 2022 and you are an iOS team, here is the article that will help you decide between iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro!
iPhone 14: why iPhone prices exploded in 2022?
When you look at the evolution curve of the price of the iPhone, you immediately see a huge explosion this year, even taking inflation into account. Why ? As you know, the consequences of the Ukrainian conflict are multiple and radical. One of the hardest is the big loss of value of our currency. In dollars, the launch prices for the iPhone 14 range remain unchanged compared to those of the iPhone 13 range. If we are experiencing an increase of around 15% on the old continent, it is simply because one euro does not is no longer worth $1.15 but $1 all round.
iPhone 14: Apple failed to make it attractive, so avoid it
If this article is a kind of buying guide, you have already had my opinion as soon as you read the title. Want a 2022 iPhone? You will pay dearly. The most accessible version, the “classic” iPhone 14 with 128 GB of memory, already costs a 4-figure sum: 1019€.
When you are ready to put more than 1000€ in your future phone (and there is no problem with that), I tend to think that spending 1300€ is not completely unthinkable. So, you might as well go on an iPhone 14 Pro, because the performance gap between the two models is huge.
We will talk later about all the new features brought by the iPhone 14 Pro. For now, let’s take stock of the iPhone 14 at allt. This year, Apple seems to want to widen the gap between its two ranges because the iPhone 14 brings almost nothing compared to the iPhone 13.
Let’s take a look at the main changes:
- The photo sensors of the iPhone 14 are slightly larger than those of the iPhone 13. The difference in quality will be noticed in night modenot elsewhere.
- For the first time ever, an iPhone retains the same chip as the previous generation. The A15 Bionic is certainly an improved version of the A15 of the iPhone 13, but, in use, you will surely not see it. Well, don’t panic, in any case, it’s still top of the range.
- The iPhone 14 battery is slightly thicker. Combined with a slightly more powerful chip, there will surely be a slight gain. But hey, the battery of the iPhone 13 is already very satisfactory.
- In terms of functionality, there are 2 new ones on the iPhone 14, which are almost useless on a daily basis. First, there is car accident detection. Why not. Then there is the satellite connection to make emergency calls even in places without a network. To take advantage of it, you will need a paid subscription (free for the first 2 years). It is very specific, and, above all, it is currently only available in the United States and Canada.
That’s all ! When we know that the latest iPhone 13 stocks are currently going for around €800, we tend to recommend this excellent Apple smartphone from 2021 rather than its little brother from 2022, which is barely better but €200 more expensive.
Pre-order the iPhone 14 at 1019€ on Amazon
Pre-order the iPhone 14 at 1019€ on Fnac
Buy the iPhone 13 at 832€ on Amazon
iPhone 14 Pro: if you have the means and the need, treat yourself
One of Apple’s strengths is to produce smartphones that last well over time. My old iPhone XR is still holding up very well 4 years after its purchase, and iOS 16 is running smoothly on it. Not everyone has a compelling need to change their phone (afterwards, you do what you want of course. And then, iPhones sell very well on the second-hand market.).
That being said, if you prefer iOS to Android and have the necessary budget, we can only warmly recommend the iPhone 14 Pro.
Apple’s best phone hasn’t arrived in the office yet, so I can’t tell you how I felt about the iPhone 14 Pro in hand. But hey, between what we know about Apple and the characteristics sheet, we already have plenty to do.
The extra 300 euros invested in a 14 Pro rather than a simple 14, is, in my opinion, really worth it.
- We go from a 60Hz AMOLED screen to 120Hz adaptive. This fluidity is felt a lot in use.
- The screen can go down to 1 Hz, which allows the addition of the function Always On. As a reminder, this is an still-on lock screen with the time, a dimmed version of your wallpaper, and widgets.
- The famous notch turns into “Dynamic Island”a pill extremely well integrated into iOS.
- We gain an additional rear photo sensor. The others go from 12 mpx to 48 mpx. Overall, in both photos and videos, there are additional features and much better quality on all the plans.
- Finished the A15 Bionic, the iPhone 14 Pro embeds a A16 chip, even more powerful and efficient thanks to 4 nm engraving.
In short, the iPhone 14 Pro is already shaping up to be one of the very best smartphones in the world. So, even if it means paying a lot, you might as well have fun and go all out.
Pre-order the iPhone 14 Pro at 1329€ on Amazon
Pre-order the iPhone 14 Pro Max at 1479€ on Amazon
iPhone 14 FAQs
How many iPhone 14 models are there?
As in previous years, Apple offers 4 smartphone models, each with very different characteristics. We start with the normal iPhone 14, with a 6.1-inch screen and two cameras on the back. This is the model that suits most users because it includes all the necessary elements, without frills. New are car crash detection, an upgraded A15 chip, Action Mode for ultra-steady videos, and satellite connection for emergency contacts, only available in North America.
Then, the iPhone 14 Plus is the brand’s new kid, or rather the big model. The mini version of last year’s iPhone 13 is over, giving way to a 6.7-inch screen for large format fans. Concretely, it is exactly the same as the iPhone 14, the only differences being the size of the panel and the size of the battery. According to Apple, the iPhone 14 Plus achieves the same level of endurance as the 14 Pro versions.
Now let’s move on to the iPhone 14 Pro, which goes upmarket and is aimed at those who want the maximum from their smartphone. We find a 6.1-inch screen with adaptive refresh, meaning that it can go up to 120 Hz for high fluidity, and go down to 1 Hz, which allows the arrival of an Always-On screen. This technology darkens the screen instead of turning it off completely when you lock the smartphone to continue to see important information such as the time or notifications. The notch disappears in favor of a pill that can adapt its size and shape depending on the activities in progress. Very ingenious. We also have a new, more powerful A16 processor and cameras that perform better in low light.
Finally, for those with big needs, big hands and a big wallet, the iPhone 14 Pro Max is the best choice. It carries all the features of the iPhone 14 Pro, but with a 6.7-inch screen size and a bloated battery.
How much does the iPhone 14 cost?
We are not going to lie to each other, it is the subject that annoys. This year, the prices are not what will attract many people. While the prices in dollars remain the same across the entire range, it is indeed the rate of the euro and the taxes applied in France on technological products that are lacking in the iPhone 14.
Here are the prices for the four iPhone 14s, which vary depending on how much storage space you need:iPhone 14: from €1,019iPhone 14 Plus: from €1,169iPhone 14 Pro: from €1,329iPhone 14 Pro Max: from €1479
When is the iPhone 14 coming out?
The Apple keynote took place on September 7 and as usual, pre-orders are available soon after. We can therefore already pre-order the iPhone 14 from September 9 at 2 p.m.
For availability, all iPhone 14s arrive in Apple stores from September 16 in France, except for the iPhone 14 Plus, for which you will have to wait until October 7. This is probably because it is a new format and therefore requires an adaptation of the production chain.
This page contains affiliate links to some products that JV has selected for you. Each purchase you make by clicking on one of these links will not cost you more, but the e-merchant will pay us a commission.