The image shocked the UK last week: As Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin lay in Westminster Hall, a man jumped up to the podium in order to touch the coffin. He was caught by security who threw him to the ground, then sued. A week after the events, we finally know his motivations. And they’re pretty silly…
The images were seen around the UK on September 17. While he had just made 14 hours in line, like many British people who came to pay their last respects to their late queen, Muhammad Khan suddenly headed for the podium where Elizabeth II rested. The 28-year-old man was very quickly arrested by security and the police present on the spot tackled him to the ground. Prosecuted, he was questioned by a judge during a closed-door hearing and finally gave an explanation for his action.
He thinks King Charles had something to do with it
The least we can say is that his motivations are rather strange: the man is indeed convinced that Queen Elizabeth II is… alive! If he approached the coffin, it was to check that the sovereign was well rested inside. He had therefore decided to open it, convinced that the death of the sovereign had in fact been orchestrated by her son… King Charles III!
Stunned, the judge told the trial that Muhammad Khan suffered from “delusions”, detailing what the young man had told him during the hearing. “He thinks King Charles had something to do with it and he might go to Windsor Castle to pay his respects to her, but also because he still thinks she’s alive“, he explained.
The young man has indeed explained to the judge that he was ready to make all the castles of the queen, to return even to Balmoral until she answers him, convinced that she is still in Scotland, indeed. alive.
Released on bail
The judge finally agreed to release him on bail before his next hearing scheduled for October 18, acknowledging that he is not so dangerous after all. But only on one condition: that he be placed in a psychiatric unit. As a reminder, the 28-year-old man is being prosecuted for disturbing public order.
He is the second person charged with committing a crime as she waited in line to say goodbye to the sovereign. A 19-year-old man is charged with sexual assault. He allegedly stripped naked and pushed mourners as they lined up on Wednesday, the BBC reports.