You are currently viewing Death of Elizabeth II: ‘inevitable’ layoffs at Charles III’s former residence, ‘heartless to announce it in time of mourning’

Death of Elizabeth II: ‘inevitable’ layoffs at Charles III’s former residence, ‘heartless to announce it in time of mourning’

  • Post category:Entertainment
  • Reading time:4 mins read

According to The Guardian newspaper, dozens of Clarence House staff have already received their dismissal letters. A hundred people are said to have worked at Clarence House, some for decades.

The services of the king and queen consort will be transferred to Buckingham Palace after the accession to the throne of Charles III, who became king last Thursday after the death of his mother Elizabeth II.

“Following last week’s accession to the throne, the operations of the household of the former Prince of Wales and the former Duchess of Cornwall have ceased and, as required by law, a consultation process started,” said Clarence House, contacted by AFP.

“Our staff have given long and loyal service and, although some redundancies are inevitable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for as many staff as possible,” added Clarence House.

“Clarence House’s decision to announce redundancies in times of mourning is simply heartless,” the general secretary of the PCS union said in a statement.

“While changes were to be expected as roles evolve within the Royal Family, the scale and speed with which they have been announced is ruthless in the extreme,” the union adds.

Clarence House employees are not represented by a recognized union, however, notes the Guardian.

According to the newspaper, the royal services had initially wanted to delay the announcement of the redundancies until after the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II on Monday. But after legal advice, it would have been decided to share the news as soon as possible.

All laid off employees will be offered ‘enhanced’ severance pay and none will be affected for at least three months, according to royal sources.

Center Parcs holiday centers in the UK have caused a stir when they said they would close for a day for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II on Monday, before agreeing to let long-stay guests stay on site.

The tourism group said in a statement on Tuesday that “all villages in the UK will close for one day on Monday (…) out of respect for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II and to allow as many of our employees as possible to participate in this historic moment.

Center Parcs has triggered the ire of its customers by telling them that they should have left their holiday village by 10:00 a.m. on Monday and only return, in the event of a long stay, the next day, thus forcing them to find alternative accommodation at the last minute.

Travelers who were due to start their stay on Monday were also asked to make arrangements to arrive only on Tuesday.

“We hope that our customers will understand this decision intended to accompany our queen on her last trip,” adds Center Parcs, which promises reductions or refunds to the customers concerned.

On Wednesday, in the face of a deluge of complaints, the group amended its decision to allow a minority of guests who will be in the middle of their stay to stay in their bungalows and in the park, even if all services will be closed, according to a doorman. speech joined by AFP.