The AEW Grand Slam tournament was quickly kicked off after All Out 2022 following champion CM Punk’s suspension and injury. A new tournament that was with a view to crowning a new AEW World Champion to replace Punk via a permanent champion and not an interim one like last time.
Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson, Sammy Guevara, Adam Page and Darby Allin competed in this tournament. On the September 14 episode of Dynamite, we had the semi-finals with:
- Jon Moxley who beat Sammy Guevara with his Death Rider.
- Bryan Danielson who beat Chris Jericho using his LeBell Lock to knock him out despite having a foot injury.
Which makes Moxley and Danielson go head-to-head in the grand final of the Grand Slam tournament which will take place at Dynamite Special Grand Slam on September 21st live from Arthur Ashe Stadium, and the winner will be the new world champion of the AEW. An event that will not be missed, a new champion and in addition a clash in the Blackpool Combat Club. Also announced for the show:
- AEW Tag Team Championship: Swerve in our Glory (c) vs. The Acclaimed
- All-Atlantic Championship: Pac (c) vs. Orange Cassidy
- Interim AEW Women’s Championship: Toni Storm (c) vs Serena Deeb vs Athena vs Britt Baker
photo credit: AEW